So I supposed this is day 1 in Seattle, but I can't start calling everything Day 1, 2, 3, 4, etc or I will lose my mind.
We slept a fitful night and got ourselves up. We unpacked in the kitchen for about 30 minutes and then cut ourselves off so that we could walk the dog.
Just to explain the weather - I wore capris, socks, sneakers, a tank top, a long sleeve shirt, and a fleece and I was downright COLD COLD COLD. Tom kept laughing and saying it was nice out. It was like 58 degrees. I was not happy, but I dealt with it.
We walked down the hill toward Green Lake - it only took about 15-20 minutes to get there. We stopped and got a breakfast sandwich and then walked around the lake. Finally after I could not feel my hands we headed off the lake. We walked back to the house and Harper was exhausted. I too could have gone back to sleep all day. We did lots more unpacking (entire kitchen) and started rearranging the living room area. We decided we will try to live without a tv for as long as we can. What with the internet, I almost feel like it's cheating or something. We'll see how long we can last.
Around 2pm I hit a rough patch of being starving, thirsty, and tired at the same time. I tried to go back to sleep with Harper, but I knew that the farmer's market was starting soon. Around 2:45 I gathered Harper, myself, and my backpack and headed to the market. Dogs were not allowed in, so I tied him up next to two other doggies. I walked around, but when you have NO food in your kitchen it can be a little overwhelming to try to get stuff from a Farmer's Market. I bought some yummy goat cheddar cheese, a loaf of sourdough rye bread, some sun gold tomatoes (not the most amazing ones I have had), a cucumber, an eggplant, and I think that's it. At this point in the day the sun was out and it was maybe 70. Nice, but not hot for me.
On the way home from the market I stopped at a little store called Picnic. They had wine and meats and cheese. I got some gooey triple cream cheese and some parmesan. I also stopped into a dog store and chatted with a woman, and then went to a wash-your-dog store and had the woman cut Harper's toenails. It was worth the $8 just so I wouldn't have to watch him HATE me while I did it. I walked behind some high school girls who actually made the comment to each other, "Jeese, if I had known it would be so HOT, I would have worn shorts." I wanted to scream IT IS NOT HOT you crazy people!!!! But I kept it to myself.
I ate a lot of cheese and then made a corn/eggplant/tomato/lime/avocado salad. We continued unpacking and unpacking and unpacking. Tom meanwhile had ridden his bike down to his office and then back. He made it alive although he said he did hit a patch of insane road without a bike lane where he sort of feared for his life.
Eventually Tom went and bought some beer. It took me two times of drinking "Session" beer before I had the AHA moment of realizing that was the bear Session the dog was named after. Boy I was a little slow there. Around 7:30 Tom tried to make me sit on the porch, but it was way too cold out for that. Clark and Megan came over and brought us a super cool poster of Seattle. It's a funky thing with all of the neighborhoods written out. It is really cool. I'll try to put a picture of it up somehow. We drank some beers here with them and then headed out to the Greenwood Ave strip. We stopped at a place called Oliver's Twist. It was super yuppie and expensive. We got beers, but the food was sort of out of control. I will eat just about anything, but this just wasn't what you wanted to eat in a bar. We drank our beers fast so that we could make the other bar down the street in time to eat some food. Second bar was 74th Street Ale House. We ordered some food - gumbo (eh), Mediterranean Plate (yum), and garlic bread (greasy and yummy) and drank some beer. The bar closed super early so we left at around midnight I guess.
On our walk home I came up with the plan for me to go on the Seattle news Weather cast. I wanted to tell everyone that it was very cold and that this was NOT summer, no matter what they all thought. I think I also wanted to call people "Apple Maggots" because on our drive through Eastern Washington we had seen signs on the road saying, "DO NOT EAT HOMEGROWN APPLES! Beware of the apple maggots." This might be my new way of referring to people.
Standing outside our house Harper began his usual howling, so we let him out. Then to sleep for us. Actually that part is sort of funny. We were lying on the bed with all of our clothes and jackets on talking to Harper and then we both fell asleep. We woke up at god knows what time and got under the blanket. We had our window wide open and we are sleeping under our quilt, not our down blanket. I was FREEZING. It will be super nice with that blanket on top of us.
yay! Session beer for Session dog :)
ReplyDelete