Thursday, August 6, 2009

Third Day in Belize

Thursday:

We got up even earlier than before for our pre-planned fishing trip that was a gift from Dan for our honeymoon. We were incredibly excited for what would obviously be our 900 lb catch of delicious fish to eat.

We were picked up by Tuca our friendly guide. We drove into Placencia and stopped at Joy Tours to pick up scuba gear and lunch etc. Then we headed out on the boat. It was quite a windy day, but the ride out of the lagoon was fine.

Then we hit the open water. HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS! We crashed along through waves jumping up and smashing down. I was totally afraid I would be sea-sick, but I actually enjoyed the adrenaline rush. If only I hadn't been thinking about how badly I had to pee. We finally got near the reef and we could pee over the side of the boat (definitely not as much fun for me as for Tom). We set up our lines to do some trolling for fish.

Pretty quickly I caught a pretty big cigar fish - a very shiny silver and teal colored fish with a snappy looking snout/nose. We caught some other fish along the way, and then we went to a deserted very cool island called Robert's Caye. It is owned by Robert's Grove Inn, and we cooked an amazing lunch on the grill there. The island was super neat. It was very teeny and had three thatched roof bungalows for guests of the Inn. Tuca cooked us some delicious spicy chicken and veggies for lunch and we ate and relaxed. Tom did some snorkeling along the reef, but I was too much of a wimp to try it. Then we set off for some more fishing, and eventually we made our way back to Placencia.

It was quite a cool day out on the water! I got a MONSTER sunburn on my neck (of all places!), but otherwise it was great.

We ended up eating fish at Casa at Last for dinner, and watching stupid movies on our satellite tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment