Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Vegetarian Three Bean Chili

I will start with the grade. If I had cut the butternut squash chunks smaller I would give this an A- (with the addition of sour cream and cheese and cornbread). The big chunks (my fault) give it a B+.

Tom thought this picture (a) showed how to scoop out a butternut squash, and (b) showed that Harper will beg for ANYTHING.

This was a recipe from Cooking Light and once again I changed it a little bit to suit my lazy needs. Otherwise known as I did not feel like broiling the peppers because I didn't want to wait that long. I think the only difference is that it was not as "smoky" flavored as the recipe suggested. I did not mind AT ALL.

Things you need to make this:

2 red bell peppers
olive oil
1 cup chopped onion (1 large onion)
cumin
crushed red pepper flakes
paprika
salt
4 garlic cloves (sliced)
2 cups vegetable broth (I did use veggie broth, but you could use any broth you wanted)
1 1/2 cups cubed and peeled butternut squash. Cut them smaller than I did!!!
28 ounce can of chopped tomatoes (don't drain them....the juice is good for the chili)
15 ounce can of pinto beans
15 ounce can of cannellini beans
15 ounce can of kidney beans
RINSE AND DRAIN ALL THE BEANS!!! The goo on them is gross.
1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions)

What to do to make this dish:
The recipe tells you to preheat your boiler and roast the peppers and then let them cool and take off the skins and blah blah blah. If you feel like doing that then google this recipe. I did NOT feel like doing that. 

1. Chop up your onions and peppers and butternut squash.
2. Heat a dutch oven (if you have a big one) or big pot over medium heat. Add a few Tablespoons of olive oil and swirl around it around. Add the onions and cook for a LONG time (15 minutes). Make sure you are hanging out and stirring them so they don't burn. Maybe even turn the heat down if you need. Here is what mine looked like after about 10 minutes.

3. Now stir in 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 4 cloves of minced or sliced garlic. Stir that around for 2 minutes.
4. Add the red peppers, the veggie broth, the butternut squash and the can of tomatoes and bring it to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes (with the top off) stirring every once in a while.
5. After 20 minutes add all of the beans and simmer for 25 MORE minutes or until it's thick enough for your liking.
6. Stir in the scallions.
7. Heap into a bowl and add cheese, cornbread and a TON of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment