The recipe is for salmon cakes with an orange-miso dipping sauce.
What you need for the Orange-Miso sauce:
1 T orange juice
1 T orange zest
1 T lemon juice (I didn't have any this time...and I just did double orange juice and it was GREAT, so I don't think it's a big deal)
1 T lemon zest
1/2 cup mayonaise
2/3 cup sour cream
1 T white miso paste (the past two or three times I have made this recipe I did not have this miso paste and I just used soy sauce and I swear there was little to no difference in taste. I finally found it in the refrigerated section of our PCC. Also I know Whole Foods has it because I saw it in West Hartford. Also my mom has it in her fridge if you live near her!)
How to make the Orange-Miso sauce
Mix all ingredients together and then chill. Sooooooo difficult I know.
What you need for the Salmon Cakes:
1 lb skinless salmon fillet cut into 1/4 inch dice. (This time I used 1.3 pounds because I wanted more than enough left overs. I think probably 1.5 pounds is the most before you need to change the proportions a bit)
1/2 cup FINELY chopped red pepper (the smaller you chop it, the easier your life will be making the cakes)
1/4 chopped scallion (white and green parts)
1/4 cups minced cilantro (YUM)
1/2 T ginger (minced) - This time we were out and I chopped up some pickled ginger...like the kind you put on sushi. It tasted fine!
1 1/3 cup of panko flakes (1/3 cup is for the cakes....1 cup is for breading)
1 large egg beaten (before you add it to the stuff)
1 T sesame oil
1 T soy sauce
Lemon and lime wedges (for spraying on top of the cooked cakes)
1/3 cup (I swear you will need more) canola oil - for frying.
How to make the Salmon Cakes
1. Chop up all of the salmon. My fillets came with the skin on so I also had to take off the skin. When Tom did this he butchered the entire thing. I gently cut a bit of the skin off (with the skin side UP on the cutting board) and then I just sort of pulled and the skin peels right off.
2. In a bowl mix the chopped salmon, red pepper, scallion, cilantro, ginger, 1/3 cup panko flakes, beaten egg, sesame oil and soy sauce. Mix it all around. Use a spoon or else the cilantro will stick to your hands and be annoying.
3. In a frying pan heat the canola oil over medium/high heat until it's sizzling.
4. Dump about 1 cup of panko flakes onto a plate (you will dip the cakes in there). You might need more.
5. With your hands (or some magic contraption if you have one), grab a small palm full of salmon mixture and make it into a ball. Plop the ball into the plate of panko flakes and flatten a bit to coat. Then flip over (it gets messy...just deal with it) and coat the other side. Put the cake into the frying pan. Fry about 3 minutes and then flip and do about 3 minutes on the other side. You want a golden brown. At this point I'd turn your heat down a little bit or else you might burn the cakes.
6. Put finished cakes onto a plate with a paper towel.
7. Squeeze a lime wedge over cake. Smother with dipping sauce and enjoy.
We ate ours with cous-cous this time, but that was only because it was leftover. I'd say a light salad would go best.
No comments:
Post a Comment