What you need to make this:
One big bunch of kale (with stems removed and chopped coarsely should be roughly 8 cups)
1/2 a biggish onion (1 cup chopped)
2-3 stalks of celery chopped
a few garlic cloves (minced)
2 cans of cannelini beans (rinsed)
4 ounces of orzo (or other small pasta for soup)
Water and broth
Salt and pepper
a bit of oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish
Parmesan cheese rind (if possible)
What to do:
1. Chop up kale, onion and celery.
2. Heat a pot and add a tablespoon or two of oil. Add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat stirring often.
3. Add the beans, orzo, kale, salt and pepper, and 8 cups of liquid. The original recipe just called for 8 cups of water, but I found that tasteless so I added some chicken broth. I think maybe 4 cups water and 4 cups chicken or veggie broth would be perfect.
If you have a parmesan rind...dump it in - it will add flavor.
4. Bring to a boil with the top on. Then simmer for about 5 minutes (until the orzo is done)
5. Take out the rind if you used it. Taste and add salt and pepper to your preference. Grate some parmesan over the soup when it's in your bowl.
For those of you that love rosemary (I HATE IT!!) this recipe originally wanted a bunch of rosemary added to the broth. Do it if you like it. I find it disgusting.
No comments:
Post a Comment