Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pizza Pizza Pizza

I adore pizza. I worked at a Sicilian restaurant for 3 of my 4 years of college and I just love pizza. When I was a kid we used to go to Pizza West (closed recently) every Friday night. This was the only time I would get to have root beer and I'd also get to play Pac-Man (although I could also do that at the dentist's office - man we had a great dentist). I love that you can eat pizza for any meal of the day, and it is a carb - another one of my favorite food groups.

So for a while I was buying dough from the Italian market down the street or next door to my house in New Haven. Alas now we live in Seattle. I'm not sure if there are Italians here! I found dough at the super market in the freezer but I was not in love with it. Then I found Trader Joe's dough and that was acceptable. But then I looked at the little booklet that came with my bread machine and saw that it had two recipes. I decided to make the Neopolitan recipe because olive oil sounds nice - as does pizza from Naples. I poured some ingredients into the machine - flour, olive oil, yeast, salt.... and pressed start. 55 minutes later I had enough dough for two pizzas. I even made this for Tom before I went away and then I froze them for him.

We like to make the snowball version that I think I posted a while ago - spinach, ricotta and chopped up tomatoes. Now we are on a salami kick. The little market down the street from us (I swear we must live near a small market or else we will fall apart or something) carries Salumi salami - Mario Batali's grandfather runs the place. So we have taken to now making salami pizza with sliced peppers and whatever else we feel like. It is HEAVENLY.

1 comment: