So this really is my favorite dressing. My mom made it when we were younger and then she stopped when we got all healthy. I'm not sure I find it sooooo bad for you....but those of you on a diet will probably tell me why I shouldn't eat it anymore - or how it has contributed to my 5-6 pound weight gain in the past 2 months.
So this is my trusty salad dressing holder thing-a-ma-jig. Tom's mom gave it to me and I adore it. It has a night tight top so that I can shake shake shake my dressing to mix it all up.
Best Salad Dressing Ever
about 1 cup of oil (sadly not olive oil....vegetable or canola - your choice)
about 1/3 cup vinegar (red or white...I switch back and forth - just changes the overall color)
1/3 cup parmesan cheese (you know where I stand her...I like terrible Kraft)
a few sprinkles of paprika (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon)
a few sprinkles of salt and pepper
probably 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of parsley (dried) -
If you don't do this already you should. Whenever I buy parsley I cut it ALL up and use what I need. Then I put all the rest in a small bowl in my fridge so that I have fresh "dried" parsley
a bunch of shakes of celery salt (so yummy...go buy some now). Probably 1/2 a teaspoon
some minced garlic (once again I am gross so I just buy it in the jar already minced and I plop a spoonful in)
a small shake of dried basil (I love basil, but I don't love dried basil, so I don't put very much in)
It was brought to my attention by recipe followers (my mom and Allison) that the recipe called for a little bit of sugar (I never do that) and some ground mustard. I DEFINITELY would add the mustard. I like to do a bit of ground mustard and a bit of mustard seeds. Sorry!!
Shake it all up and pour some on your salad. It's sort of like an Italian dressing, but honestly, and I know I might lose some readers here, I sometimes lick it off the plate when I am all done. Gross I know, but if it isn't me doing it then it's the dog.
I also think this dressing goes AMAZING with a salad with feta (who wouldn't want feta in their salad) and shredded carrots. The dressing just sits in the carrots and sometimes I just shred carrot and feta and I don't even add lettuce.
ha ! i love lettuce-less salad
ReplyDeleteHarumph. I didn't realize I COULD roll over in my bed (but, hey, I guess it's better than rolling over in my grave, right?) just because of a recipe...but now I guess I might consider it as you continue to flog (food blog) about my salad dressings and recipes (unhealthy, sometimes, but oh-so-yummy).
ReplyDeleteFYI: I never add dried basil OR Kraft Parmesan Cheese (only freshly grated will do for yours truly)...but even so - you're right - this dressing IS finger-lickin' good, that is a fact.