Finished product on a lovely Fiestaware plate. Just know that I would have used 10 times more sour cream if we had not been about to run out.
This is called "Mexican Casserole", but I call it "The meal to go along with a Bulls or Bears game".
The only change I made is that I used REAL ground beef instead of meatless crumbles. I guess this would make a good recipe for you Veggie-Eaters! Especially if you crave bar food as often as I do.
Ok so first I sprayed my 13 x 9 inch rectangular baking pan with PAM. Then I sort of crushed 24 tortilla chips. I did not used baked ones, sorry. I think I probably crumbled more like 30 chips. I'm a rule-breaker.
Then I pre-heated the oven to 375.
Next I heated 2 teaspoons of oil in a big frying pan over medium heat. I added the onion to the pan and cooked 4 minutes or so. The add the garlic and jalapeƱo and cook 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and crumbles (or the BEEF) and cook 3 minutes - for the crumbles, or until thoroughly cooked through for the BEEF. Add the beef/onion mixture on top of the tortilla chips - spread as evenly as you can.
In the same pan add the pinto beans and mash them with the back of your spoon. This is a serious workout for your forearm, so don't lift weights beforehand. Stir in the lime juice. I used 1/2 a juicy lime rather than measuring the lime. Add the bean mixture on top of the meat or crumbles.
In a small bowl combine the tomatoes, cilantro, and salt. I squeezed in the other 1/2 of the lime because I love lime. Layer the tomato mixture over the beans in the dish. Top with the remaining tortilla chips, pressing to slightly crush. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
love it love it love it. Now when you get here, I'm going to talk you into getting my camera and making this blog your career.
ReplyDeletexo
can't wait to see you
s
Um can I really make it into a career? If so done. Wait are you trying to tell me I need to buy a thousand dollar camera in order to turn this into a career????? Yikes.
ReplyDeleteNO! now you can get one for like $400! But thats for another day. We'll talk more.
ReplyDeleteAlso I want you to figure out how to get more of the post in google reader. You can't see pics, and it only gives you a little taste of the post. I read all my blogs in reader... and usually only people who really need site traffic do what you are doing. Is that on purpose?
xo
$400 is potentially do-able. But really I just suck at picture taking.
ReplyDeleteI don't know anything about blogs. All I know is to sign in and write the blog. I have no clue about Reader or anything else you are talking about. You will school me on all of this when I arrive in San Diego this weekend!!!
Reminds me of Migas- I took inspiration from SmittenKitchen- do you read that blog?
ReplyDeleteI have never read smittenkitchen, but I just looked it up. Thanks Katherine!
ReplyDelete